HistoricForSale.com
HistoricForSale.com - historic real estate for sale, old homes for sale, preservation real estate, and classic restoration real estate for sale
HistoricForSale.com
HistoricForSale.com
HistoricForSale.com
home
historic real estate
› search for historic homes
› featured properties
› recent listings
› list your historic property
› property signup
› join the unlimited
  property listing program
real estate agents
› find an agent
› list your agency
› agency signup
preservation library:
articles, regulations & policy
preservation bookstore
resources
testimonials
join email list
about us
frequently asked questions (FAQ's)
contact us
site map
member login
HistoricForSale.com
30 Bromley Roadnue
Pittsford, NY 14534
Phone: (503) 308-0500

Send Us an Email!
 
 
HistoricForSale.com - click here to list your historic home for sale
Property Details: Ingleside
Go Back Print
Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC
(Click on a thumbnail below to view a larger image)
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC
Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC Click for a larger image! Historic real estate listing for sale in Iron Station, NC
   
Property Information
Ingleside
214 S. Ingleside Farm Road
Iron Station, NC
Find it with Google™ Maps!
Price: $875,000
Bedrooms: 5
Bathrooms: 3.5
Square Feet: 6,384
Lot Description/Acreage:
Lot Size: 5.75 acres/Zoning: Residential
Year Built:
1817
 
Contact Information
Name: Beth Yarbrough
Agency: Gilleland Realty, Inc
Phone: 704-813-8945
Email: Send an email...
Website: Visit the website...
 
Property History
Ingleside was built in 1817 for Daniel L. (1784-1847) and Harriet Brevard Forney, for their marriage. The tall imposing two-story brick house, beautifully laid in Flemish bond is, as noted by Catherine Bishir in North Carolina Architecture, “the grandest expression of the county’s 19th century planters and ironmasters.”

Daniel Forney’s grandfather, Jacob, was a French Huguenot who came to Lincoln County about 1754. Gen. Peter Forney, Daniel’s father, upon whose land the mansion was built, made his fortune in the county’s early iron industry. Both father and son served as United States Representatives, Peter from 1813 to 1815, and Daniel from 1815 to 1818. Daniel was a planter who held a variety of local political offices before moving to Alabama in 1834. He sold 867 acres, including Ingleside, to Alexander F. Gaston, son of prominent Judge William Gaston. Young Gaston was unable to keep the property, and Forney then sold it to James Anderson. After the Civil War, Anderson sold the mansion and a smaller parcel of land to Willis E. Hall in 1871.

Renamed “Ingleside” by Hall, the estate remained in his family until 1947. In 1951 the mansion and its acreage were purchased by local businessman and entrepreneur David Clark. Clark’s daughter Carolyn generously donated the house and six acres to PNC for its future preservation.

The historic log house on the premises is reported by the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS) to have been the original home of Peter Forney, Jacob Forney’s father, which would place the house as being built around the time of the Revolutionary War. If true, this would make the log house one of the oldest extant structures in the Piedmont. According to the NC Highway Historical Marker Program website, Peter served on the military during the American Revolution, fighting against the Cherokee and British troops throughout the frontier. During the marches of General Cornwallis through the area, Peter’s home was taken over as British headquarters for a while, making it important to the history of the Revolutionary War.

According to HABS, by the 1940’s the house was sided. Some architectural historians believe that the house would have been sided sometime between its initial construction and before Ingleside was built. Such siding would bespeak the growing wealth and prominence of the Forney family in the ironworks industry during this time period.

More on the Ingleside and the Iron Industry in Lincoln County from the North Carolina Archives:
 National Register Nomination
• NC Geological Survey from 1893
• The North Carolina Historical Review (1932)
• Check out this article about Ingleside in the Charlotte Observer from 1933!

Historic Tax credits are available. Ingleside is under protective covenants held by Preservation North Carolina. Owners have signed a letter of intent that prohibits conveyance or sale of this property before August 3, 2021, but are open to legal agreements that convey occupancy and allow work to be done on the property prior to that date. Contact listing agent for full details.


 
Property Description
ONE OF THE FINEST FEDERAL-STYLE HOUSES IN NORTH CAROLINA! Built in 1817 by Daniel Forney and listed in the National Register of Historic Places since 1972, Ingleside is an opportunity to own a true North Carolina landmark. This house was written up as an exceptional place in 1933 (Charlotte Observer) and has been featured ever since in every major book about North Carolina’s historic architecture. Located just minutes from renowned Lake Norman, 40 minutes from uptown Charlotte and the Charlotte Douglas International Airport, and easy access to I-77 and I-85.

Family legend says that the elegant brick house was designed by Benjamin Latrobe, architect of the United States Capitol. The connection is not farfetched. The capitol was being rebuilt under Latrobe’s supervision after the War of 1812 while Daniel Forney was a Congressman. Further, Forney, his wife, and Latrobe were all of Huguenot descent. The staircase was modeled after Owen Biddle’s Young Carpenter’s Assistant pattern book, and the main parlor is a remarkable showpiece of Federal style, especially in light of its rural setting.  The woodwork may have been built by Jacob Steigerwalt, a regional talented cabinetmaker (and builder of early pipe organs).

Five bays wide and three deep, its Flemish bond elevations are raised on a high foundation and its two chimneys are hidden behind its gable-end walls. Its front elevation is dominated by a handsome pedimented portico supported by four stuccoed Ionic brick columns over thirty feet in length. Modillions and dentils decorate the cornice and gable-end pediments, as well as the front portico. Its six-over-six windows are topped by flat arches, and its double-leaf front door is topped by a similar flat arch and a rectangular transom filled with delicate tracery.

Upon entering the center hallway, one is faced with perhaps the home’s most striking interior feature, the wide, delicate staircase which gracefully climbs the curve of the rear wall.  Its thin balustrade and rounded handrail terminate in a delicate scrolled newel. Its fine tulip patterned stair ends, as well as the sweeping design and form, were apparently copied from plate 31 of Owen Biddle’s popular 1805 pattern book, The Young Carpenter’s Assistant. Two equal-sized rooms open to the right of the hall, and a larger room with a smaller room at its rear, opens to the left. The large drawing room is lavishly ornamented. Fluted colonnettes, rope molding and elliptical sunbursts decorate its Federal style mantel, and full entablatures and fluted pilasters frame its windows. An elaborate cornice formed of five layers of moldings and a central medallion of acanthus leaves are stucco ornamentations of a scale found nowhere else in the county. Though less heavily adorned, the other rooms are fully ornamented with Federal-style motifs. Their finely formed mantels are of particular note. A beautifully appointed modern kitchen occupies the basement level. (Architectural and Historical information excerpted from Lincoln County Natural Heritage Inventory)

A log house believed to be one of the oldest extant structures in the county is situated on the premises and will require a complete rehabilitation. The property will lend itself well to being a gracious home or event venue.

 
Additional Notes
Ingleside is located in eastern Lincoln County, one of the fastest growing areas in the state. Iron Station is an unincorporated area near Denver and is near shopping, restaurants and easy access to I-77. The charming “Main Street” town of Lincolnton is located only 14 miles away with its burgeoning downtown central business district. Lincolnton is enjoying a revitalization with local merchants selling antiques, boutique clothing, fine jewelry and unique gifts. A new music store, recording studio, butcher shop and wood fired pizzeria are a few of the most recent business openings. A growing restaurant and craft brewery movement is creating opportunities for entrepreneurs and leading the charge to redevelop and repurpose historic buildings. Part of the Carolina Thread Trail, the Cloninger Rail Trail, passes through the heart of downtown and connects three city parks.

Ingleside is also located just minutes from renowned Lake Norman, the largest man-made lake in NC, 40 minutes to a handful of State and National Parks, a scenic 75 minute drive to Blowing Rock, and also just 40 minutes from uptown Charlotte. Charlotte is North Carolina’s largest city with all the amenities you can expect from a big city, wrapped in southern charm. The “Queen City” has a thriving cultural, arts and historic ecosystem as well as a strong business environment. Charlotte area attractions include the: Mint Museum, NASCAR Hall of Fame, Blumenthal Performing Arts, Levine Museum of the New South, Bechtler Museum of Modern Art and Charlotte Motor Speedway. Click here for more on Charlotte.

The Farm at Ingleside, a planned community of more than 400 homes, is currently under construction by D.R. Horton on the land adjacent to this property. A copy of the site plan on file with Lincoln County is available HERE.

Last Updated: June 24, 2020
All information deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified.


 
 

Interested in listing your historic or vintage home / property / building for sale?  HistoricForSale.com is the premier destination for historic real estate for sale on the internet, and as such brings in your ideal target audience (historic homeowners, building restoration professionals, historical society members, museum curators, etc). 

Click here for more information on listing your historic home for sale.

Ready to list your historic home for sale?  Click here to use our secure online submit form.



View more information about this historic property for sale in Durham, Connecticut

Historic estate on 1.5 acres offers two homes

Durham, CT

Search for historic homes and property

List your home or property for sale

 
 

HistoricForSale.com
HistoricForSale.com
HistoricForSale.com
HistoricForSale.com
HistoricForSale.com
HistoricForSale.com | historic real estate | real estate agents | regulations & policy | preservation bookstore
historic resources | testimonials | join email list | about us | frequently asked questions | contact us | site map